Monday, January 16, 2012

From Amsterdam to Bethlehem

It's been quite the incredible (and busy) past few weeks! Since the last time I wrote, I have spent 10 days in Amsterdam, a few more with friends in Utrecht, a day in Antwerp, Belgium, and it has almost been a week here near Bethlehem, Israel. I would like to write first about my Amsterdam trip - how the support raising efforts went and what that experience was like for me.



In my past few updates, I still had $1,500 to raise with three weeks to go, then a couple hundreds dollars left right before I left. Once again I have been incredibly humbled throughout the support raising process and by God's grace all funds have come in for my trip. As I expected, it was a difficult process at times but I never doubted that I needed to go on the trip and once again God provided in some incredible ways through all of you. For those of you who sent in money, asked how I was doing, or lifted me and the team up in prayers, thank you so much! I was continually reminded throughout this process that there is so much more than goes on during an trip than I am aware of, that even in a small window of time God can create awesome opportunities and that ripples travel further than you'd know.


As I had shared before, our group worked in two different Christian Hostels in Amsterdam. I, along with three others from my school, were picked to work in one right outside of the city's Red Light District. The New Year brought in a mass-flux of travelers and having extra volunteers was a great help for the ministry. I also slept there at the hostel, in a large room with 20-some bunk-beds. We assisted the hostel in working different shifts during the course of the day- whether it be cooking for the faculty dinner or working in the cafe serving guests. I spent most of my days working in the caf in the evening, serving guests meals and spending time talking with those who were visiting. I was incredible interacting with people from around the world - Hungary, Austria, England, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Iraq, and many others. The hostels are ran on volunteer work. Individuals from around the world donate three, four, six months, or even a year of their time to work in the hostels and build relationships with the cleaners and the guests who come through.


We had opportunities on a daily basis to invite guests to participate in prayer and bible studies. I had some very cool discussions about faith and was thankful for the opportunity to be exposed to an awesome ministry there. Some highlights included a discussion with a man from Turkey, a bike ride around the city with two Austrian friends, and being able to witness the baptism of an Iraqi brother. I am so thankful the Lord provided for the two week trip and that everything worked out smoothly and I transitioned into my last semester here in Israel. I cannot tell you all how thankful I am for all of you investing in my life and the cool opportunities God has made a way for. I am equally excited for the opportunities I will have this semester to learn more about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and relating to individuals from a variety of faith backgrounds.


I hope to continue to post updates here, and if you'd like to take a look at what our campus looks like here, feel free to follow this link - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150464584032525.357122.701202524&type=3 . Thank you all for everything! Hope you are having a great New Years!!

2 comments: