Friday, July 22, 2011

Binalbagan

Hey friends, it's been quite the busy life since I last wrote. Since then, I have spent the majority of my time in Binalbagan, a town about three hours from here. Last week a group from our home church here traveled to conduct their annual Teen Games for a local high school. It was held for the school's spiritual emphasis week and nearly 400 teenagers participated. We had a blast singing songs, playing games, and sharing the Word to the kids. I was able to lead a small group of about 20 high school sophomores, and what a blessing it was to share with them and talk about the Lord's promises to us. It was an exciting and energy-filled two days. The kid's energy was contagious, and it was incredible to be able to share about Jesus to kids from all walks of life.
Having finished up on Friday, we returned to Bacolod where I conducted another basketball clinic Saturday morning. It's been great having the same group of kids to work with, having already met for nearly two months now. I will have another tomorrow then we will have a graduation ceremony for them next week. This clinic has been such an incredible opportunity to provide a safe environment for the local boys and a place where people genuinely care for them and seek to teach God's love to them.

It was back in Binalbagan following the clinic. Through an individual at the church here, I was provided with a place to stay, food to eat, and even a nice car to drive around. (Driving a car in a developing country should definitely be on your bucket list!) I spent my time with a local youth pastor (can be found in the picture below) and his wife. I got started right away there, even practicing with the church's choir for Sunday's service. I praise the Lord that God does not judge a man based on singing voice, because I have no doubt I would come up short on judgment day. Following a lovely vocal performance Sunday morning, I was able to share my testimony with the gathering there in Binalbagan. Over the period of the next five days, I spent the majority of my time with the high schoolers we ministered to during the Teen Games. I was able to conduct three basketball clinics for the boys on their team, shared a Bible story to the elementary students during their chapel, lead an English class, enjoyed a game of basketball with local pastors, shared during the high school chapel, ate a meal prepared by each high school class (yum!), and had a lot of fun throughout! It has been such a joy to share my life with these kids, knowing many of them didn't grow up in the comforts of a loving and Christ-following family as I have. While I was continually thanked for my help there, I have so much to thank them for! For their incredible hospitality, ever-joyful attitude, the beautiful smiles, and their faithfulness in carrying out God's calling in their lives. I will miss the people I met there and hope the Lord provides an opportunity to return their again.


What a life! My time here has been coming to a quick finish, knowing I only have a little over a week left. God has blessed me so much in my time here and it's been a joy to share that with others I have been able to cross paths with. I'm off to lead a devotion at the local high school, till I write again!

2 comments:

  1. The smile on your face speaks as loud as your stories, Jer. Glad you are having such a beautiful time there. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeremy, Have just set up an account. Am checking to see if it works. Love you, Nana

    ReplyDelete