Monday, July 4, 2011

The Least of These

It's a quarter past noon and the tropical rain beats loudly off the aluminum roofing. Local pastors enjoy a typical lunch of rice and beef stew while watching some Filipino television. We turn up the volume to compete with the howl of the torrential winds. The downpour will relent for a moment, just to pick up in a few minutes right where it had left off. We're enjoying a restful evening after an eventful past weekend. I've been here for a little over a month now, and the beauty of the Philippines amazes me just as much as it did when our 747 touched down two years ago.

I spent the past week in the city of Pontevedra, working alongside another pastor who is actively involved in sports ministry. Despite the resistance of almost daily rain, we were able to conduct a few basketball clinics during my time there, two at the local school and another at a public court. I was also given an awesome opportunity to share briefly during the school's chapel in front of 150 students. It has served as a continual encouragement to be able to share of God's victory in my own life as I hope to encourage and challenge others in their own faith. I was also able to visit a local seminary school for those preparing to serve further in ministry here. I've never been so struck by the Lord's ability to work in people's lives who are willing to be used by Him. I am surrounded by the young, those who have little or no Christian "higher education", those who live in poverty, yet are powerful witnesses for Christ and share His love so relentlessly.



In a lot of ways, the ministries of so many here serve me as a modern day example of the men and women of faith found throughout the New Testament. God used twelve men, mostly devoid of any religious training or social significance, to share with those in their culture and to travel where Jesus' name had never been heard. I believe that so many times we rely on our own strength, education, or training, as to whether we are "fitting" enough for a opportunity God might provide for us. It is through our fear, our own lack of faith that we belittle God's power in our own lives. It has been so incredible to be thrust into challenging opportunities in which the only thing I can do is trust in the Lord and His guidance. If we are willing, God is more than able. Able to use us. Able to make a difference to others through us. Able to bring glory back to Himself despite my own shortcomings, failures, inadequacies, fears, and doubts. Of which I have more than I count ever count! Thankfully "the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world!" (1 John 4:4)


This past Saturday I coached my fourth weekly clinic at the basketball academy. About 80 showed up, and their progress has been quite evident. It's a miracle that anyone might want to be coached through me, let alone 60, 70, or 100 kids! I am just continually thankful for His goodness in my life, for His unending mercy and love. I would appreciate prayer for the lives of the boys we have been able to coach. The church I have been working with here will move their services to the location of the academy, and there we will have the opportunity to host some of these kids during our services! It would be incredible to see some of these kids in Sunday school, who knows what kind of testimony they might have in the future because of this basketball academy!

I have also been able to assist some of the church's youth in outreach to the slums here in Bacolod. The kids appear from their tattered houses, swat away flies as they squat on bamboo sticks, and sing praise songs to Jesus. I don't know if I've ever seen anything so simply beautiful in my life. The children live in complete poverty yet have this uncontrollable joy. I hope they latch on to Jesus in these days, that the world will never be able to strip them of that joy!

I enjoyed sharing with and hearing from local pastors at a monthly gathering yesterday. Pastors from this region of the Provence gather once a month to share God's blessings, challenges, and prayer requests with one another. I would like to lift up one of the pastors in prayer- his wife was diagnosed with brain cancer a few months ago and she has been battling it on a daily basis. Through some alternative medicine and God's power, a majority of the cancer from the left and lower right side of her brain has almost completely disappeared, while there still is a sizable chunk on the upper right side. It was incredible to hear from the pastor yesterday, of the ways God has been working in His heart and the man's complete faith in the Lord through this time of uncertainty. My prayer is that he remains faithful in prayer and ministry, and that no matter the outcome of his wife's progress, that He will stay strong and serve others. Please keep him in prayer with me.



I will have my first opportunity later this week to lead a devotional for the basketball team of a local high school. Please pray that the Lord might equip me with the words to share and for open hearts on behalf of the students. While many have grown up in a Christian environment, we all know of the threats that apathy and contentment might present. I will most likely to travelling again next week, in order that I might be able to conduct some basketball clinics. Thank you all for continual support, and I look forward to updating you again some point next week.


"I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever."
- Psalms 145:1

No comments:

Post a Comment