Sunday, November 13, 2011

letting God - Amsterdam

"We are needing one more for the Amsterdam trip, preferably male."

It was at those words I got a little nervous.

I was in a leadership meeting with some sixty other students, not expecting one of the school's vice presidents and this year's team leader to Amsterdam to talk to us about a need they had as a team. William Jessup sends an eight member team to Amsterdam every Christmas to work with two Christian hostels. It was at this time less than two weeks ago, already some time past the usual member selection process, that a request was
made at the meeting to find one last member to fill the eight person mission team.

There was a reason his words drew me in right away. Being in that I will be studying abroad in Israel next semester, I had been planning to travel through Europe on my way over, specifically Amsterdam. I had been making plans and was expecting to stay in Amsterdam in the beginning of January, purely coincidental that it was going to overlap with the time the team was going to be there. I was urged by a few leaders to take the step in being the member they needed to complete the team. While initially hesitant, I began to honestly pray about what God might want for me and the team.

One of the greatest hesitations I had for the trip was the financial aspect. Living in a family where my parents are fully dedicated to overseas missions, having a brother raising support for YWAM and having already been on a summer-long missions trip several months before, I was unsure if it was good timing to make another financial leap of faith. I came to terms that my family's support group (many of you), have already made great financial donations to the opportunities that have come my family's way by God's grace. For this I am more grateful than any of you would know. I have written a separate post specifically for those of you who have donated financially in the past, please take a look at that if you have the time.

With this being said, I am pushing through with preparations to head to Amsterdam on December 27th! As stated previously, our team will be assisting in the ministry of two Christian hostels right in the heart of the city. We have partnered with these hostels for several years now and we have provided much encouragement and assistance, especially during the chaotic New Years rush. We will have the opportunity to provide janitorial and kitchen help around the hostels, as well as build relationships with those who will be passing through in our time there. If you wish to take a look at their website, please visit - www.shelter.nl/



I would now like to present you all with an opportunity to take part in a powerful ministry to dramatically change lives in the heart of Amsterdam. In a city notorious for the Red Light District and coffee shops, there is no greater place to bring the message of Christ- a message of freedom, redemption, and hope. I have no idea as to what kind of people we will be able to cross paths there - whether it be local or foreign, homeless, sick, abused, or needy. What I do know is that we have been called by Christ to minister to all- that His message was sent for all and that it is our job as the community of believers to love and minister. Our team will be ministering in Amsterdam from January 27th to December 7th and it is my prayer that you would seriously consider making a financial donation to this trip. Due to God's grace and provisions, I have already raised almost 30% of the $2,500 I need to personally raise. God has already been paving a way for the team and I to travel to these hostels and I am seeking to be faithful to His calling in my own life. I look forward to the opportunities to strengthen and work alongside my teammates, to bless those ministering in the hostels, and to be a tangible representation of God's grace and love in a sinner's life. If you are feeling called to make a donation, please feel free to either send a check to my university or you may also wire money over.

** If you are living in the United States and wish to make a donation, please send me your permanent address and I will send you a form with all the necessary financial information you will need. **

While a little bit more tedious, you could send a check or make a credit card donation by filling out this information yourself on a separate piece of paper:


If you wish to send a check:



Make out checks to WJU.
My name must not appear anywhere on the check.

On a separate piece of paper, please state that you would like to support Jeremy Devers on his trip to Amsterdam


 *Team contributions are tax deductible and non-refundable. Any over amounts raised will spill into the team's general fund and/or general mission fund.*


Send to:
Business Office 

Mission Trips
333 Sunset Boulevard
Rocklin, CA, 95765


If you wish to make a credit card donation, please fill out this information on a piece of paper:


One time donation of - $______
Visa or Mastercard


Credit Card Number - ______
Expiration Date - _______

Signature - _______
Your Name - _______
Your address - _______
Your phone number - ______
Email - _______


Information if you wish to wire money:



Beneficiary bank:
Union Bank
455 S. Figueroa St., Los Angeles, CA 90071
ABA# 122000496
SWIFT Code: BOFCUS33MPK

For credit to:
Five Star Bank
6810 Five Star Blvd., Suite 100, Rocklin, CA 95677
Account # 2760629955
Telephone # 1-916-626-5000


For further credit to:
Customer Account name: William Jessup University
Customer Account #: 001206465
Telephone # 1-916-577-2354



We would also greatly appreciate your prayer in these upcoming months! Here are some major prayer requests-

- Preparation in the hearts of our team
- God's financial provisions for each member
- To begin to work on the heart's of those we will come in contact with in Amsterdam
- That we may bless those ministering in the hostels!

If any of you have questions or comments regarding the trip, sending support, the ministry in Amsterdam, or have any questions for myself, please feel free to contact me at jeremydevers@hotmail.com. Thanks for your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment