Monday, March 14, 2011

Republika ng Pilipinas




As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.” At once they left their nets and followed him.”
Mark 1:16-18

Since coming back from Indonesia in August, God has continued his refining work in my life. These past several months have included a good mixture of heartbreak, disappointment, renewal, encouragement, and revival in my own life. I have been continually humbled as God has created opportunities for me to be able to serve as His hands and feet here at Jessup and other places further abroad.

The newest opportunity I would love to share with you is the door God has opened for me to minister in Bacolod, Philippines, this upcoming summer in a partnership with a Filipino pastor, Renato Bravo.  I would work with him and fellow believers in some various ministries to serve local Filipinos there on the island of Negros.    

As many of you are already know, two summers ago I went alongside the basketball team from WJU to minister in the Philippines through sports.   In addition to spending some time in the capital city of Manila, the greatest portion of our trip was spent in the city of Bacolod and throughout the island of Negros.  It was an incredible opportunity to be able to serve there in the province of Negros Occidental! We spent the greatest portion of our time playing against college, city, prison, and semi-professional teams. During each game we were able to share our own testimonies which followed a presentation of the gospel by Pastor Bravo. We were also able to share with kids during basketball camps and we all split up to share at several different churches there in Bacolod. Pastor Bravo led our WJU team throughout our tour and is from the city of Bacolod. 

Since then I have frequently talked with this pastor in hopes of returning and serving further with him and the Church there.   His life has been a great encouragement to me as I’ve witnessed the sacrifices he has made for the Kingdom and the passion and fervor with which he gives to those around him so selflessly.

I intend to make my way to Bacolod in early-mid May and will return in early August. When I get to the Philippines, I will be able to take part in some various sports ministries there, work alongside the Church in serving the slum community there, and partner with and assist in several churches throughout the city. In addition to spending time with Pastor Bravo, I will be able to work with several other pastors in the area and minister to cities located around Bacolod. I hope that my time with the body of Christ there will teach me some further lessons in what overseas ministry looks like. I look forward to the opportunities to speak God’s truth in love and servitude using the skills God’s given me.


The work I will be doing this summer will be a part of an internship for an organization called Christian Team Ministries (CTM). CTM focuses on Christian Sports and Fitness, Sports and Recreation Evangelism, International Sports Ministries, Pastor and Leader Development and Evangelism Training. CTM has worked in the Philippines for several years now and I’m glad to be able to partner with them. While I will not be working directly with a CTM team, I will be serving as a CTM short term worker this summer.

In order to make this opportunity a reality, I will need to raise $2,250. This amount will cover flight costs and living expenses for my time there. I would like to encourage you to consider partnering with me as I seek to share God’s love in the Philippines. As my trip would be impossible without support from all of you, I would greatly appreciate any financial donation and your prayers in these upcoming months. Any donations can be made out to: Christian Team Ministries or you can make an Online Investment to CTM by clicking on this SECURE link (When prompted, be sure to put Jeremy’s name in the box titled “Approved CTM Missionary”): http://www.active.com/donate/christianteamorg

If you would like to make a financial contribution, please email me and I will forward my 'Financial Need Statement' letter

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this! I’m looking forward to see the work of the Body of Christ as finances come together for this opportunity and as I prepare my heart for the work I have ahead of me. Feel free to contact me at this address: jeremydevers@hotmail.com or find me on Facebook: Jeremi Joel. I will continue to keep you all posted on updates!

Servant to Many and Slave to One,
Jeremy Devers


 “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
Acts 1:8

Philippines Trip 2009
Several WJU players and our Filipino godson

1 comment:

  1. Jeremy, this is so cool! I am really excited for you and for the work that God will do through you and in you while you are serving this summer! I will definitely be praying for you leading up to and during this endeavor - spread Jesus' love there and I know He'll be glorified through you!

    ReplyDelete